UNISONActive is an unofficial blog produced by UNISON activists for UNISON activists. Bringing news, briefings and events from a progressive left perspective.

Wednesday 20 January 2010

UNISON GS election - democrat Prentis says let the members decide‏

Today at a special meeting of the UNISON NEC it was agreed to move to a General Secretary election commencing next month and in the event of an election contest running up to late June.
http://www.unison.org.uk/news/news_view.asp?did=5861

The election is taking place because of a principled decision by the current General Secretary Dave Prentis to seek a fresh mandate from UNISON members rather than take up the option to extend his current term of office until May 2013.

Instead Dave's intentions were signalled prior to the meeting in a letter to UNISON President Gerry Gallagher in which he stated:

"I have decided to write to you to clarify my position on the General Secretary Post paper, which will be debated at the special National Executive Council arranged for tomorrow, 20 January 2010.

Although I recognise my contractual right, set out in the paper, to remain in my post until May 2013, I strongly consider that I should put myself forward for re-election in 2010, five years after my previous election.

In the difficult times we are now entering into, I believe that we need, more than ever, a strong, united union capable of defending the interests of our members. As General Secretary of UNISON, I have always believed that the democracy of our union is paramount and, in putting myself forward for re-election, I am seeking a new mandate to take our union forward.

If option one, set out in paragraph 16, is adopted by the NEC, the election process would be completed before our 2010 Conference, minimising the disruption to the union. We could then coalesce around an agenda on the issues which are so important to our members - fighting any cuts and defending our members' pay and pensions."

The NEC decision was supported by an overwhelming majority. Bob Oram's call at the NEC for the whole union to unite behind Dave is unlikely to be backed by all. Predictably an ultra left group has called a meeting in London for 30 January to discuss selecting a factional candidate.

Details of the election procedures will be issued to branches and regions shortly.