UNISONActive is an unofficial blog produced by UNISON activists for UNISON activists. Bringing news, briefings and events from a progressive left perspective.

Sunday 9 May 2010

The Candidate and the Elector by Smokey Dymny‏

A Song by Smokey Dymny
Oh, I'm a politician and I'd like to get your vote
I'm bringing you this pamphlet to try and raise your hopes
It's full of pretty pictures of myself and family, and
Lots of hopeful promises with which you might agree

I used to be a Liberal, but then I changed my mind.
I wanna stay in power - so I joined the other side.
Don't ask 'bout my principals, they're flexible as hell.
I'm a modern politician, I'll represent you well.

Well, I'll never raise your taxes, I may even bring them down
I'll see to it that your garbage goes to the other end of town
I'm not sure what we'll do with it - once we get it there
But I'm sure it won't pollute your water or stink up your air

I don't like mega-projects & new highways are a drag
I'm conscious of minority rights, 'bout that I'd like to brag
I know a good education is each Canadian's dream
And I promise that my party will be uncorrupt and clean

I won't be over-policing you but I'll protect your rights
Just as long as when you demonstrate you don't break out in fights
Oh, and if you're in a union, I'd like to help you there
I'll make sure that your contracts are held up fair and square

So, come out on election day and bring your kids along
We hear youth are not interested in how governments are run
Show'em how to mark their card & where to place their trust
They've got to vote for one of us or democracy's a bust.

Let me tell you my dear candidate, I voted once in '68,
I wish I hadn't done it for all the difference that it made.
Every one of you has lied to us you've broken all your vows
The only difference among you is when you do it to us & how

As soon as you get in power you say the money is all gone
But you pay off your supporters, yes sir, each & every one
There's not enough for services, the deficit's too high.
And the only thing that's bigger is the size of your last lie!

http://smokeydymny.blogspot.com/